90/424/EEC: Council Decision of 26 June 1990 on expenditure in the veterinary fieldOfficial Journal L 224 , 18/08/1990 P. 0019 - 0028
Emergency measures ... Article 3 1. The provisions of this Article shall apply in the event of the occurrence of one of the following diseases in the territory of a Member State:
- rinderpest cattle plague,2. The Member State concerned shall obtain a financial contribution from the Community for the eradication of the disease, on condition that the measures applied immediately comprise at least the isolation of the holding from the time of suspicion and, following official confirmation of the disease:
- sheep and goat plague,
- swine vesicular disease,
- blue tongue,
- Teschen disease,
- avian plague,
- sheep pox or goat pox,
- Rift Valley fever,
- lumpy skin disease,
- African horse sickness,
- vesicular stomatitis,
- Venezuelan equine viral encephalomyelitis.
- the slaughter of animals of susceptible species which are affected or contaminated or suspected of being affected or contaminated, and their destruction, and, in the case of avian plague, destruction of the eggs,
- the destruction of contaminated feedingstuffs and contaminated equipment, where the latter cannot be disinfected in accordance with the third indent,
- the cleaning, disinsectization and disinfection of the holdings and of the equipment on the holdings,
- the establishment of protection zones,
- the imposition of suitable measures to prevent the risk of the spread of infection,
- the establishment of a waiting period to be observed after slaughter before re-stocking of the holding,
- swift and adequate compensation of the livestock farmers.
3. The Member State concerned shall, without delay, inform the Commision and the other Member States of the measures applied in accordance with Community legislation on notification and eradication and the results thereof. The situation shall be examined as soon as possible within the Standing Veterinary Committee, hereinafter referred to as the 'Committee', set up by Decision 68/361/EEC (16). The specific financial contribution by the Community shall be decided in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 41, without prejudice to the measures provided for in the context of the common organization of markets concerned.
4. If, in view of the development of the situation in the Community, it proves necessary to continue the measures provided for in paragraph 2, a new decision concerning the financial contribution by the Community, which might exceed the figure of 50 % laid down in the first indent of paragraph 5, may be adopted in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 40. When this decision is adopted, any measures which the Member State concerned must take in order to ensure the success of the action may be laid down, and in particular measures other than those mentioned in paragraph 2.
5. Without prejudice to market support measures to be taken as part of the common organization of markets, the financial contribution by the Community, divided if necessary into several tranches, must be:
- 50 % of the costs incurred by the Member State in compensating owners for the slaughter, destruction of animals and, where appropriate, their products, for the cleaning, disinsectization and disinfection of holdings and equipment and for the destruction of the contaminated feedingstuffs and contaminated equipment referred to in the second indent of paragraph 2,
- where vaccination has been decided upon in accordance with paragraph 4, 100 % of the cost of supply of the vaccine and 50 % of the costs incurred in carrying out that vaccination.
1. The provisions of this Article shall apply in the event of the occurrence of foot-and-mouth disease in the territory of a Member State.
2. The Member State concerned shall obtain a financial contribution from the Community for the eradication of foot-and-mouth disease, on condition that the measures provided for in Article 3 (2) and the appropriate provisions of Council Directive 85/511/EEC of 18 November 1985 introducing Community measures for the control of foot-and-mouth disease (17), as amended by Directive 90/423/EEC (18), are applied immediately.
3. Article 3 (3) shall apply.
4. Without prejudice to the measures to be taken in the context of the common organization of the market to support the market, the specific financial contribution under this Decision shall be equal to 60 % of the costs incurred by the Member State in:
(a) compensating owners for:
(i) the slaughter and destruction of animals,
(ii) the destruction of milk,
(iii) the cleaning and disinfection of holdings,
(iv) the destruction of contaminated feedingstuffs and, where it cannot be disinfected, contaminated equipment,
(v) losses incurred by farmers as a result of restrictions imposed on the marketing of livestock and pasture-fattened animals as a result of the reintroduction of emergency vaccination, in accordance with the penultimate subparagraph of Article 13 (3) of Directive 85/511/EEC;
(b) Where applicable, the transport of carcases to processing plants;
(c) any other measures which are essential for the eradication of the outbreak of the disease.
The Commission shall, in accordance with the procedure provided for in Article 41, define the nature of the other measures referred to in (c) which may be eligible for the same financial contribution by the Community and the cases in which point (a) (v) shall apply.
5. For the first time not later than 45 days after official confirmation of the first outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease, and subsequently as and when required by the turn of events, the situation shall be re-examined within the Committee referred to in Article 42. This pted in accordance with the procedure laid down in Article 42. This decision shall set out the eligible costs and the level of the financial contribution by the Community. In addition, when this decision is adopted, any measures which the Member State concerned must take in order to ensure the success of the action may be adopted, in particular measures other than those referred to in paragraph 2.
6. However, by way of derogation from paragraph 4, the specific financial contribution by the Community for the measures referred to in that paragraph shall be 70 % until 1 January 1995.