return to www.warmwell.com
October 7th 2010 ~ The CAP towards 2020 "payments should be reviewed and made more understandable to the taxpayer"
Among the proposals and options in an apparently leaked draft document from Brussels is the idea of abolishing the Single Payment to farmers.
The 14 page pdf file can be seen here. Extract:
'The use of a single, flat rate direct payment was one of the proposals floated in the public
debate. ... the fundamental question is how to reach a more equitable distribution ...The future of direct payments to be granted to active farmers could be based on the following
See pdf file in full
- Basic income support through the granting of a basic decoupled direct payment.
providing a uniform level of obligatory support to all farmers in a Member State (or in
a region) based on transferable entitlements that need to be activated by matching
them with eligible agricultural land, plus fulfillment of cross-compliance
- Enhancement of environmental performance of the CAP through a mandatory 'greening" component of direct payments ...
- Promotion of the sustainable development of agriculture in areas with specific natural
constraints by providing an additional income support to farmers in such areas...
The existing support for LFAs granted in the 2nd pillar would come to an end.
- In order to take account of specific problems in certain regions where particular types
of farming are considered particularly important for economic and/or social reasons,
voluntary coupled support, may continue to be granted, within clearly defined limits
(with support based on fixed areas, yields or number of heads).
- The loss of employment opportunities in many rural areas could be mitigated with
support to small farmers by ensuring a minimum level of direct payment.
- Simplification of cross compliance rules ....