8. Conclusive Statementhttp://idea.jrc.it/pdf%20report/8%20conclusive.pdf
- a) there is an need to introduce an improved identification, registration and management system of livestock in the European Union for the management of premium, the veterinary monitoring of animals and for the proper management of livestock by Breeders Associations;
- b) there is an urgent need to introduce a new legislation for the identification of sheep and goats;
- c) the EU Member States are responsible for the implementation of such system in their respective countries;
- d) there is a need to rely on an efficient and effective exchange of livestock identification data between Member States when animal movements are taken place and in case of the outbreak of diseases;
Considering also that:
- e) the IDEA project is a large scale experiment designed to demonstrate the feasibility of applying electronic identification to EU livestock;
- f) the IDEA project represents to a large extent the real conditions of livestock management in the EU;
- g) the IDEA project has reached very positive result on the feasibility to use electronic identification, taking into account the present legislation on livestock identification and registration and the possibilities to extend this legislation from cattle to sheep and goats;
- h) the identification of items using transponder technology is well developed, commercially available and applied routinely in many industrial areas;
- i) the industry is to day in a position to produce within short time periods large numbers of electronic identifiers and corresponding readers for livestock identification;
- j) international standards for livestock exist for the codification of transponders and communication protocol between transponders and readers;
one is in a position to state that:The IDEA project has demonstrated that a substantial improvement can be reached for livestock identification by using electronic identifiers; It is the proper time to introduce electronic identification for cattle, buffalo, sheep and goats in view of establishing an improved livestock identification, registration and management system in the EU.
This statement needs to be accompanied by a number of conditions to be fulfilled.
These conditions may be summarised as follows:
- - A clear and unambiguous legislation needs to be available, which takes into account the capabilities and constraints of the new technology.
- - Guidelines and technical specifications need to be available at EU level for selecting appropriate identifiers and readers.
- - Implementation guidelines need to be available at EU level for the application of identifiers, their reading, recovery and disposal.
- - Common glossary, data dictionary and communication standards need to be available for the data management of livestock related information.
- - The application and reading of identifiers needs to be performed according to the conditions and taking into account the constraints described in the IDEA project.
- - A proper technical co-operation needs to be established between EU Member States and between the Member States and the European Commission for the preparation and periodic review and improvement of the above-mentioned accompanying measures.