Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality
P.O. Box 20401
2500 EK The Hague
ANNOUNCEMENT INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
THE MATERIAL AND IMMATERIAL COSTS OF ANIMAL DISEASE CONTROL
15th AND 16th DECEMBER 2004 BRUSSELS
TOWARDS AN EFFECTIVE, AFFORDABLE AND SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE ANIMAL DISEASE CONTROL REGIME
During the recent outbreaks of contagious animal diseases in the European Union many healthy animals were killed and destroyed and large amounts of money were spent to contain the damage.
On 15 and 16 December an international conference will be held at the Charlemagne Conference Centre in Brussels to discuss the matter. The Dutch EU Presidency, in close cooperation with the European Commission, will host the conference, which will be chaired by Prof. F.H.J.J. Andriessen (former European Commissionair).
The following items might be discussed:
· How can we prevent large-scale destruction of healthy animals in the future?
· Will society keep contributing to the costs of animal disease control?
· Can we use vaccination and are we going to use it?
· Where and when is human health at risk?
· If products of vaccinated, healthy animals do not pose a health risk, how do we convey this message?
· Does animal welfare deserve more attention in times of crises?
· What are the economic risks related to animal disease control?
This conference is intended for representatives of
· (future) member states of the European Union
· agencies of the European Commission and the European Council
· various non-governmental organisations within the EU
· other internaional and global organisations
· various stake holder groups
· the international press.
Registration is obligatory; participation is free. Participants are requested to make their own travel and hotel arrangements.
On 15 September the Dutch authorities will invite participants to register. Registration will close on 15 October 2004.