Extract: "There is no excuse for the physical and psychological abuse this Government has been performing on people and animals during this time. I will never forget what you have been allowing to happen"
Open letter to the most dangerous man in Britain.Tony Blair
10 Downing Street
London 3rd August
You and your ministers have been in charge of the Foot and Mouth crisis while:
Animals are being killed inhumanely and illegally - Lambs are being killed with captive bolt when they are supposed to be injected
- Within sight of each other
- With incorrect calibre weapons
Farmers are having to receive counselling after having witnessing poor slaughter techniques such as multiple shots at the same animal
- I have at least 20 reports myself of how animals have been killed barbarically ie. Chased around fields with quad bikes, shot and left wounded being found breathing hours afterwards
- Animals have been killed with spanners, hammers and even stamped on
Blame is wrongly being passed to farmers
- for biosecurity (Defra are the culprits)
- for illegal movements
- for being suspected of infecting their own animals
Farmers are not being advised of their rights and not being counselled
- 5 farmers have committed suicide
Farmers are being intimidated by Defra
- Defra have a document produced by Ann Waters (deputy director of FMD operations) telling mobile killing squads how to intimidate farmers
- Farmers are having to receive counselling after having been party to the abuse to their animals and themselves from Defra
People are having their pets killed with no compassion
- Kirsty Mcbride's goat was killed without her permission
- Caroline Hoffe's sheep were killed in her living room, with her 80 year old father being threatened in the house beforehand
We form groups to propose logical, sensible and economic solutions - Your ministers ignore our repeated letters and proposals.
I've spent the last 6 months researching the science, the politics, the EU directives, the laws, the guidelines and then finally the options. All I now realise is secondary to the rights of the people and the animals of this country who have been treated contemptuously.
The blood of this country is now on your hands for ever. The last 4 months have been the worst in my life and I hold you responsible for the way we are being forced to submit to this lunacy. I will not accept that a crisis allows you special dispensation, or the argument 'with the benefit of hindsight' - you've still time to correct your actions. There is no excuse for the physical and psychological abuse this Government has been performing on people and animals during this time. I will never forget what you have been allowing to happen.
cc. HRH Prince of Wales, National Foot and Mouth Group, Compassion in World Farming